Thursday, July 9, 2009

Show and Tell Friday - Mosaic Birdhouse


I haven't participated in Show and Tell Friday for awhile so I thought I would today. Kelli over at There's No Place Like Home is our hostess!

This is a Mosaic Birdhouse I have just finished making. I used vintage broken china plates, glass, gems, a teacup and different kinds of embellishments!
I like to start out by sealing all the wood with a good wood sealer so that the outside weather doesn't warp the wood.
I used an old staircase pole as the stick to hold it up. I like to use my sander and sand the bottom of the stick to a point so that it slides very easy into the dirt. I also glue and screw the pole into the bird house so that it's very secure
I start off by doing one side at a time. I careful glue each piece in place using Weldbond Glue. I like to cut my pieces from a plate as I go. This is the back side.

Each side is done differently. I do one side a day to make sure they are glued and in place before I turn it over to do another side. After all the pieces are dried and glued in place I then use white sanded grout to fill in the cracks.

I love the tea cup cut in half placed in front. I also fill it with birdseeds too! After the grout is all dried, I then seal the grout with a good grout sealer.For more Show and Tell Friday Posts, please go visit Ms Kelli at There's No Place Like Home Blog!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - that looks amazing.

Love the patterns you have created, and the tea cup is adorable!

I hope the birds appreciate it!

Thanks for visiting my blog in N Ireland today :)

Gattina said...

Wow ! that really is a master piece ! what a nice work ! Real beautiful ! Had to laugh too about your mother's spoon story, lol ! My MIL used to run behind her son with a broom ! Never catched though !

Gee said...

My, what a lovely bird house you have created. Wish I could have the same skill like you. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

SmilingSally said...

That is precious! You've given a bird a home and made an art object at the same time! I wonder if the tea cup catches rain water?

Hootin Anni said...

I am in awe...I'm speechless...it's stunning.

My Show n Tell is posted if you'd like to stop by. Have a lovely weekend.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh goodness...I love that. You did a fantastic job. I don't have one thing in mosaic...and I love it!

Jill said...

That's beautiful. AND a lot of work. I would love to try mosaic someday. Have the dishes!

Jill said...

That's beautiful. AND a lot of work. I would love to try mosaic someday. Have the dishes!

Neabear said...

This is just absolutely gorgeous!! I just love it. You have done a beautiful job with it. Thanks for sharing!!

Lori R. said...

That bird house is just adorable. I would love to take a walk in your yard, I bet you have so much to look at! Only problem, I'm a few thousand miles away!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

That is very beautiful. I love the cup under the perch. You are very artistic and talented. Lovely and I agree, a masterpiece.

Teresa said...

Miss Annie Fannie,
I love, love, love your mosaics. I have never seen mosaics as lovely as yours.

i cant decide said...

That is so cute. I love the teacup.

The Old Parsonage said...

Wow, that's great, I love it!

How long does it take you to do one?
It's so cottagie.

Enjoy your day!
Leann

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

What a gift you have, to make something so beautiful. The bird house is just stunning. It looks like it took a lot of work and a lot of creative talent.

Iris

marmielu said...

I love the half teacup. I hope the birds appreciate it!!
Mary Lou

Mimi Sue said...

Very, very cute. Love the teacup birdseed holder. I still love my heart hanger I won from you. Mimi

Unknown said...

What a beautiful creation. That was a lot of work!!

Unknown said...

Listen honey, those have got to be the most beautiful mosaics I have ever seen...Do you have classes or any tutorials out there in cyberland...If not, how did you learn to do this craft...
wonderful beautiful blog...
glenda

Anonymous said...

This little birdhouse is sooooo beautiful. I have been saving broken dishes for some time now, but haven't been brave enough to try. It looks so lovely in your garden.

Anonymous said...

I love the mosaics that you do. My daughter in law loves butterflies and would love that one. You are so talented. Donna

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin