Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our Avocado Grove

Last year my husband and I purchased a 3 acre avocado grove next door to us. The property had been abandoned and was in foreclosure. What are we going to do with all these half dead avocado trees my husband asked me? We are going to nurse them all back and sell avocados I said! I went online and looked up how to care for avocado trees! Well, after lots of TLC it looks like my pipe dream is coming to reality! After a year of nursing these poor trees back to health, they are finally full of buds of hundreds of little avocados and the leaves are all green instead of brown!


Here are a few pictures I took today of some of the trees.

This is a vintage Smudge Pot! I have found 3 of them left on the property from the owners years ago. They are a oil burning device that is used to prevent frost on fruit trees. I have them in my garden as garden art! Aren't they fun looking??


I picked these yesterday off just one tree! Yum avocado dip for the Memorial Holiday weekend!

Here is a quick easy Avocado dip recipe!


3 ripe avocados


2-3 green onions, finely diced


1 medium tomato diced


Lime juice (I usually use 1/2 of lime)


1/2 cup chopped up Cilantro (optional)


Salt and Pepper to taste


Tabasco or hot sauce to taste (optional)


Cut avocados in half and scoop out. Throw pit away. Mash up in bowl with fork.
Add diced tomato, diced green onions and chopped Cilantro. Add salt and pepper, lime juice, and Tabasco or hot sauce to taste. Grab some Tortilla chips and enjoy!

10 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I can't imagine what I would do if I had free access to avocado's!! Congrats on nursing them back to health!

meemsnyc said...

Oh wow! How lucky you are! This is amazing!

AnneMarie said...

Wow! What an amazing thing to do! Well done on nurturing those trees back to life! Sounds like heaven to me! Love your blog! xx AnneMarie xx

Darla said...

Your Avocados are responding well to your TLC...I love the garden decor too!

From The Heart said...

The trees are so beautiful..and lucky to have someone nurse them back to health.
I must say I have never tasted an avocado!
Beautiful pictures!
Blessings,
Shirley

Paula said...

That's wonderful, Ann! I'm so glad to see your dream is taking shape!

janis said...

Anne~ I just shared your post with my Avocado Loving Hubby. He's envious! I am constantly trying to find decent Avocados here in Indiana.
Your recipe is pretty close to the one i use. Hubby likes to slice them up and eat and sometimes makes a Avocado sandwich.
Maybe you need to have a contest so we can try to win some of those pretty babies from you! lol. Wish they grew well here♥

Mimi Sue said...

You are sooo lucky to have those avocados! Although I'm sure it was tons of work getting them healthy again. Hope your mom is doing well. Prayers for her and your family. Mimi

dana said...

That's wonderful!!! You are a true avocado farmer!! If I was in your neighborhood...I'd stop by and purchase a bunch of them from you! The ones we've been getting at the store lately are horrible....and really expensive.

Hope you have a good Memorial Day!

L, Dana

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic job you have done on your grove! What I wouldn't give to walk outside and have my own fresh avocados. There isn't much better than some fresh guacamole, or grilled avocado slices in the summer!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin